Tuesday, March 23, 2010

“People go to art – willingly become an audience – to recover from unconscious breakdown of the sense of self and of the will to live, brought about by their inability to tolerate the world’s indifference to their inner life, and especially by their narcissistic need to be mirrored and to idealize. True art seems to care about inner life and respond to narcissistic need. It thus makes people feel inwardly alive, renewing their faith in themselves. More particularly, the playful unity of the true work of art – playful because it seems simultaneously a disintegration of old form and an integration of new form – becomes a hopeful model to the self. True art gives the self leave to become playful, leading it out of the wilderness of feeling like nothing into the promised land of feeling like something new. True art and true self seem in perpetual playful transition between old form, which embodies the feeling of being nothing, and new form, experienced as everything one could ever want.”
-Donald Kuspit


I love this quote (it used to be on my facebook) and I want to preserve it somewhere (but not there) because it ultimately just makes me think "Why so serious?" and then I think to myself "Well... I don't know, but it's starting to give me a headache."
SO, moving on, let this be the beginning of avoiding headaches and enjoying for the sake of enjoyment.

<3

1 comment:

  1. "brought about by their inability to tolerate the world’s indifference to their inner life" - that hits home this week for me

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete